Wednesday, May 24, 2017
A Streetcar Named Desire Changing Elements
In our society today we are starting to bring to light the issues of double standards. A double standard by definition according to Merriam-Webster.com is "a set of principles that applies differently and usually more rigorously to one group of people or circumstances than to another; especially: a code of morals that applies more severe standards of sexual behavior to women than to men". During the course of the story A Streetcar Named Desire Blanche DuBois the main protagonist ended up getting raped by her brother in law whom is also the main antagonist Stanley. All the meanwhile her sister was giving birth to her nephew in the hospital. Although when Blanche told her sister Stella of the rape she refused to believe it claiming "I couldn't believe her story and go on living with Stanley."What would have happened if it was the other way around? What if Blanche raped Stanley instead? You probably don't have an answer to that because to us as people it is unfathomable to imagine a big strong man being taken advantage of by a small woman and this is where we start to see the double standard kick in. I would like to believe that although usually when a woman reports rape it is believed to be true with no questions asked, however in this story it is the complete opposite, if Stanley had said Blanche raped him his wife Stella would have most definitely believed him. This would mean that Blanche would have been kicked out immediately rather than being taken to an insane asylum so regardless of what happened Blanche was fated to meet a not so happy ending. What do you think would have happened to Blanche if she raped Stanley would Stella refuse to believe it all the same or would she take Stanley"s word for it?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I honestly feel like Stella would believe Stanley over her own sister because she already had done that before. If Stanley ever said something like that Stella would believe him because she is not only crazy about him but she believes Blanche is crazy.
ReplyDeleteI didnt read this book, but you seem very informed. Did stella and blanche live together?
ReplyDeleteYes they did my good sir.
DeleteThis is honestly so true. I didn't even think about it this way until you wrote this blog. Although I do not think Stella would have believed Stanley. I feel as though she would have questioned the situation but I don't believe she has that much distrust in her sister.
ReplyDelete