Friday, January 27, 2017

The Danger of a Single Story

In “The Danger of a Single Story” author Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie explains what a so called “single story” is and the effect it has on people. A single story is what you get when you use what information you have without looking furthermore into a person or topic and from that you decide that that is all there is to it. An example Adichie used to prove this is was when she reminisced about her single story about her live-in domestic helper whose name was Fide and his family in Line 42 claiming “All I heard about them how poor they were, so that it had become impossible for me to see them as anything else but poor. Their poverty was my single story of them.” Most often we as people create single stories of others but not by choice, just out of habit. A single story is a little bit different than an assumption because to make an assumption you must use more than just the information you have at hand and they are not misconceptions because for the most part they are usually true. Single stories are subtler than both of those altogether because single stories are what we get when we are given information but are too lazy to discover the rest. What was ever stopping the author from asking her mother about Fide’s family, what was stopping the author’s roommate from learning more about Africa rather than just believing what she had heard and had been portrayed by the media in Line 64, what made a story authentically African according to the authors professor in Line 83? I’ll tell you what it was. It was the inability to care. Do you think it’s possible to stop people from manifesting single stories or are single stories just apart of human nature?

7 comments:

  1. I think single stories are just apart of human nature now. People got so used to judging someone off of their stereotypes or what they heard of them that it is now something that occurs everyday. You can't stop people from what is now a habit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Single stories affects an outlook on a particular culture and can really change your judgement even if that person is the nicest person you put them in this category of that person representing the culture as a whole which is not the case. Single Short stories clouds your perception of another person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think single stories are just a part of human nature, because people only want to believe and see what they want without caring to find out if it is the whole truth. It is human nature to easily accept a story if it lines up with our beliefs, just how it is easy for us to disregard stories that question the way we think. This being said it is still possible to stop people from manifesting single stories if society was just more open minded to hearing stories that question a certain way of thinking. I believe with time society can adapt and embarrass the unknown. An example of this would be how open society is to accepting homosexuals now compared to a decades ago. As humans develop and become open minded I believe single stories will become extinct.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe that single stories and judging others by the first thing they see or hear is just human nature. I do believe that just because you see something means it is credible. A lot of people see or hear one thing about someone and spread the word even if it is just a single story of someone or something. I believe that one should not continue to judge or keep that one single story in their mind and actually acknowledge themselves beforehand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree Kenny. I think that single stories are just a part of us now as Claudia said. We can not undo what has been done and we just have to deal with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with most of what you said Kenny. I actually think that a single story is synonymous with an assumption, but I respect that you're entitled to your opinion. I do think that a part of human nature is to try and grasp an understanding of new stimuli, and as humans, we often choose to use a single story because it is more convenient than ascertaining for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. single stories is our world. we believe everything because of a story. most of the time the first story determines the rest. even if their more stories they are all based of that first single story.so we always have the same imagine of something

    ReplyDelete